Job Title Finance / Accounts / Tax
Category Software Developers, Applications
About The Organisation
Our Client is an internationally recognised not-for-profit health research organisation, undertaking high-impact research across a broad landscape. Affiliated with several leading universities in Australia, Asia and the UK, the Institute is a global leader in research and policy on the prevention and treatment of common chronic and critical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, kidney disease, stroke, injuries etc.
They have offices in India, Australia, China and the UK at which about 450 staff are employed. Research is currently conducted at around 400 collaborating centres in approximately 50 countries worldwide.
Our mission is to improve the health of millions of people worldwide by:
- Providing the best research evidence to guide critical health decisions
- Engaging with decision makers to enact real change
- Targeting global epidemics, particularly of chronic diseases and injury
- Focusing on vulnerable populations in both rich and poor countries
In achieving that mission, we are committed to ensuring the integration of good business practices throughout all our operations.
The organization is made up of several research & development themes, divisions and programs that oversee numerous large-scale international and regional projects funded by a diverse range of sponsors, both public and private.
A number of large-scale projects in population, health systems and clinical research, funded by a diverse group of sponsors, both public and private, are conducted in India. There operations in India comprises four distinct operating groups: Research and Development, Infrastructure and Resources, Communications and Development. It has offices in Hyderabad, where most of the research staff are based, and New Delhi where the senior management and other staff are based.
Our Client is committed to the recruitment, development, and retention of the best people from around the world. The pursuit of academic, scientific and operational excellence in a - can do- culture is actively promoted in all our activities.
Position Overview and Key Accountabilities
The Accounts Manager is responsible for all legal compliance matters, internal controls and audits, reporting, banking relationships and payments while ensuring the authenticity, integrity, existence, accuracy, authorisation and verifiability of all financial transactions recorded in the accounting system.
The position is based in Delhi but is subject to change as per organisation's requirement.
- Ensure accuracy, completeness, consistency and timeliness of all service tax matters including applicability, reverse charge, monthly deposit and half-yearly returns. Ensure compliance at transaction level.
- Ensure accuracy, completeness, consistency and timeliness of all TDS matters including applicability, deduction, monthly deposit and quarterly returns. Ensure compliance at transaction level.
- Manage the entire process (applicability, deduction, deposit and returns) of employee related statutory payments of PF, ESI, NPS and professional tax
- Secretarial compliance- liaise with the Company Secretary and ensure that all compliances related to company law are handled (e.g. annual returns, board meeting minutes, AGM minutes etc.)
- Oversee FCRA compliances and ensure industry best practices are followed, which shall include maintenance of separate books of accounts, ensuring no mixing of FC and LC funds, managing sub-accounts, FCRA returns and other compliances
- Ensure compliance with all RBI rules e.g. FLA return
- Work with company advisors to ensure all corporate tax matters are appropriately handled including but not limited to filing of returns, tax audit reports, transfer pricing reports and documentation etc.
- Liaise with bankers and manage the banking relationships, access to online banking, account opening/closure, FIRCs, statements, confirmations etc.
- Treasury management - managing funds by forecasting cashflows, setting limits for maximum balances and placing surplus/idle funds in FDs
- Manage all payments to vendors and employees and set up SLAs & related internal controls e.g. ensuring that all payments are processed after satisfactory verification of authorizations and submitted supporting documents (invoices etc.), payment vouchers are entered before cheques are issued etc.
- Ensure that all accounting entries are entered on the same day
- Ensure accuracy of project codes /cost centres while recording transactions
- Ensure strict compliance with project codes /cost centres, allocation and apportioning techniques for jointly incurred expenses by two or more projects, and update accounting system as per donor/parent company reporting requirements
- Lead the annual budgeting process. Work with functional managers/project managers to ensure the annual budget and annual reforecast is complete, timely and accurate
- Perform monthly GL scrutiny and do reconciliation of balance sheet accounts and reconcile monthly income and unearned revenue
- Review and ensure completeness and accuracy of all transactions (income, unutilised grants, overheads recovery, accruals, provision for expenses etc.) for the month and compile monthly P&L statements and send the reports to HO as per agreed timelines
- Prepare monthly variance analysis reports (budget vs actual) for each project/division and consolidated report for the organization as whole; interpret the variance and prepare reports highlighting the major deviations with explanatory comments
- Refine, maintain and develop various reports required by the key stakeholders as per agreed timelines with high level of accuracy and integrity
- Lead and manage internal and statutory audits, ensure timely preparation of financial statements and related schedules, and ensure timely completion of audits with unqualified reports
- Review all grant/project agreements to ensure that amounts due are requested as per the mutually agreed timelines. Escalate to senior Management any overdue amounts.
- Drive improvement in policies, processes, systems and internal control environment of the organisation e.g. segregation of duties, maker checker, masters (vendor, employee, customer, chart of accounts etc.), process improvement, documentation of SOPs
- Play a super-user role for Tally and ensure full utilisation of its capabilities. Improve and manage controls in Tally e.g. access controls, parking/posting of vouchers, password management, report customisation, mappings, backups etc.
- Review agreements from a finance perspective (e.g. payment terms, taxes, legal compliance, risks, forex fluctuations etc.)
- Ensure that all activities comply with various legal provisions, ethical standards and industry best practices
As a Team Member:
- Participate in team meetings and activities
- Participate in objective setting, performance management
- Participate in special projects to improve processes, tools, systems and organisation
- Participate in planning and implementing personal and career development activities
- Actively develop job-related skills and regularly participate in conferences/trainings/ workshops to upgrade technical knowledge
Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S)
- Comply with and operate in accordance with established OH&S practice and procedures
- Promote and contribute to a safe, secure environment for staff and visitors
The Accounts Manager position currently has no direct report. The position reports to the Finance Controller and needs to work closely with the Accounts Executive.
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- B.Com/ M.Com plus CA Inter/Final with 8 years of accounting experience
- Familiarity with FCRA compliance and understanding of donor audits will be an advantage
- Fluent in English and Hindi languages
- Superior understanding of accounting concepts and principles
- Excellent fluency with Tally and knowledge of all features and functionalities
- Advanced level knowledge of Microsoft Excel, at ease with complex spreadsheets using macros and complicated formulae
- Effective communication (both verbal and written), influencing and negotiation skills with the ability to maintain high level relationships across a range of stakeholders including peers, senior management, staff at remote locations
- Methodical with very high level of attention to detail
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Team player with ability to be flexible and adaptable in the face of changing organisational priorities and ambiguous environments
- Excellent prioritizing and time management skills
- Self-starter with a drive to excel while achieving results
- Very high level of commitment and integrity
Position Code: AM/HCS
Compensation: Best in the Industry
(compensation package commensurate with candidate's qualification, experience and the attributes one bring to the organization)
Only short listed candidates will be informed. This position will remain open until filled.